History

A brief history of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Sheridan, Wyoming Wyoming was admitted to the Union as the 44th state in 1890 and just 12 years later, in the early fall of 1902, a group of people gathered in the home of Mrs. Herman Johnson at 132 Coffeen Avenue to organize the “first” Christian Church in Sheridan. We followed the Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, and United Church of Christ traditions to town, but were ahead of the Lutherans and Presbyterians (We hope you smile at our humor!). The Episcopalians have a joke about the Methodist and Catholics coming by horseback to Wyoming while they waited for the train. We waited for the train too!  Actually, it was a train with Missouri folks connected to the Christian Church tradition. Soon after the first house meeting, the congregation organized its charter and purchased the city lots at the corner of Works and Connor Streets at a cost of $370.19 (which included interest). Work was started on the first church building on Independence Day, July 4, 1903. The folks were fast workers because the new building was completed and dedicated on November 8, 1903. Reporters tell us the dedication service took place amidst of a big snow storm. F. A. Blanchard was called to serve as the first pastor. The actual cost of the building, including lots, seats, fixtures, etc., was $4,891.31. Years later, in 1991, we completed a major remodeling effort to make our buildings more accessible to everyone and spent just under $300,000!   On March 8, 1947, the original church building had a malfunction with the boiler which consumed the building in fire. The whole building was engulfed in flames, and, according to some of the older generation, totally destroyed. Other eye witnesses tell us the building was destroyed, but, a few things inside the building were salvaged, like the organ and the pews (although water damaged). What happened to those things, we do not know. Today, the picture of Jesus at prayer in the garden of Gethsemane (a constant reminder to the congregation of the importance of prayer) and the organ chimes were saved from the fire and are important symbols in our sanctuary today. After the fire, the congregation quickly gathered and voted to rebuild. It took a little longer to rebuild than it took to build the first building. The fellowship hall, which we think dates to around 1922, and was an old oil shack, was redesigned to connect to the new sanctuary.  The new sanctuary was completed and dedicated on April 30, 1950.   In the early 1960's, the south parking lot property was purchased, and on September 13, 1966, that mortgage was paid off. Toward the end of the 70's, the church recognized the need for low income senior housing and set to work, after many challenges, to build Heritage Towers of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Today, we are please to serve 75 seniors with affordable housing in Sheridan County.   In the 1980's, the church was given a little green house next door to the church sanctuary, and a few years later purchased an apartment building on Works street. Both of those buildings have been removed, and, in their place, we have a beautiful memorial garden in honor of Robert Reed (2008) as well as additional parking (approx. 1996). The outdoor memorial gardens are a pleasant place for members and visitors to come and enjoy lunch in the gazebo.   In the 1990's, we felt the need to become more accessible, so we added an indoor ramp (a nice addition for cold country), new restrooms, classrooms, and offices.  We also purchased the Burkitt apartments and white house (now the Thrift Store) for future development. As we moved into the 21st century, we added stained glass windows to our sanctuary.  The stained glass windows were designed by local artists, Nancie Furnish and Paulette Kucera, and follow St. Paul’s teaching on the fruits of the Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22-23). The blue ribbon in the windows, represent the Spirit of Christ moving through the congregation. Around 2010, we replaced the steeple. Now, you can find the Church building from almost everywhere in town. The steeple was struck by lightning, totally destroyed one October afternoon, but, we quickly replaced it with another along with better lightning protection.  Soon after that, around 2012, we added a small chapel and columbarium where loved ones are remembered in their beloved Church building. Over the last 100 years, there have been 16 young men and women who have responded to God’s call to ministry.  We have been blessed to have been served by 28 talented pastors.   First Christian Church has always had an active part in community outreach. As early as 1911, support was given to a “Baby Shelter” on Val Vista street for homeless children. Early records of the Red Cross show that the Christian Church women were regular volunteers. The building of Heritage Towers was a major contribution to housing needs of low income senior citizens in Sheridan. We were an active part of the establishment of Lunch Together / Soup Kitchen and the Sheridan Community Shelter for homeless people.   As we continue the good work of Jesus Christ throughout Sheridan county, we look forward to meeting you and sharing with you God’s blessings.
© First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)  All Rights Reserved Phone: 307-674-6795
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

History

A brief history of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Sheridan, Wyoming Wyoming was admitted to the Union as the 44th state in 1890 and just 12 years later, in the early fall of 1902, a group of people gathered in the home of Mrs. Herman Johnson at 132 Coffeen Avenue to organize the “first” Christian Church in Sheridan. We followed the Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, and United Church of Christ traditions to town, but were ahead of the Lutherans and Presbyterians (We hope you smile at our humor!). The Episcopalians have a joke about the Methodist and Catholics coming by horseback to Wyoming while they waited for the train. We waited for the train too!  Actually, it was a train with Missouri folks connected to the Christian Church tradition. Soon after the first house meeting, the congregation organized its charter and purchased the city lots at the corner of Works and Connor Streets at a cost of $370.19 (which included interest). Work was started on the first church building on Independence Day, July 4, 1903. The folks were fast workers because the new building was completed and dedicated on November 8, 1903. Reporters tell us the dedication service took place amidst of a big snow storm. F. A. Blanchard was called to serve as the first pastor. The actual cost of the building, including lots, seats, fixtures, etc., was $4,891.31. Years later, in 1991, we completed a major remodeling effort to make our buildings more accessible to everyone and spent just under $300,000!   On March 8, 1947, the original church building had a malfunction with the boiler which consumed the building in fire. The whole building was engulfed in flames, and, according to some of the older generation, totally destroyed. Other eye witnesses tell us the building was destroyed, but, a few things inside the building were salvaged, like the organ and the pews (although water damaged). What happened to those things, we do not know. Today, the picture of Jesus at prayer in the garden of Gethsemane (a constant reminder to the congregation of the importance of prayer) and the organ chimes were saved from the fire and are important symbols in our sanctuary today. After the fire, the congregation quickly gathered and voted to rebuild. It took a little longer to rebuild than it took to build the first building. The fellowship hall, which we think dates to around 1922, and was an old oil shack, was redesigned to connect to the new sanctuary.  The new sanctuary was completed and dedicated on April 30, 1950.   In the early 1960's, the south parking lot property was purchased, and on September 13, 1966, that mortgage was paid off. Toward the end of the 70's, the church recognized the need for low income senior housing and set to work, after many challenges, to build Heritage Towers of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Today, we are please to serve 75 seniors with affordable housing in Sheridan County.   In the 1980's, the church was given a little green house next door to the church sanctuary, and a few years later purchased an apartment building on Works street. Both of those buildings have been removed, and, in their place, we have a beautiful memorial garden in honor of Robert Reed (2008) as well as additional parking (approx. 1996). The outdoor memorial gardens are a pleasant place for members and visitors to come and enjoy lunch in the gazebo.   In the 1990's, we felt the need to become more accessible, so we added an indoor ramp (a nice addition for cold country), new restrooms, classrooms, and offices.  We also purchased the Burkitt apartments and white house (now the Thrift Store) for future development. As we moved into the 21st century, we added stained glass windows to our sanctuary.  The stained glass windows were designed by local artists, Nancie Furnish and Paulette Kucera, and follow St. Paul’s teaching on the fruits of the Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22-23). The blue ribbon in the windows, represent the Spirit of Christ moving through the congregation. Around 2010, we replaced the steeple. Now, you can find the Church building from almost everywhere in town. The steeple was struck by lightning, totally destroyed one October afternoon, but, we quickly replaced it with another along with better lightning protection.  Soon after that, around 2012, we added a small chapel and columbarium where loved ones are remembered in their beloved Church building. Over the last 100 years, there have been 16 young men and women who have responded to God’s call to ministry.  We have been blessed to have been served by 28 talented pastors.   First Christian Church has always had an active part in community outreach. As early as 1911, support was given to a “Baby Shelter” on Val Vista street for homeless children. Early records of the Red Cross show that the Christian Church women were regular volunteers. The building of Heritage Towers was a major contribution to housing needs of low income senior citizens in Sheridan. We were an active part of the establishment of Lunch Together / Soup Kitchen and the Sheridan Community Shelter for homeless people.   As we continue the good work of Jesus Christ throughout Sheridan county, we look forward to meeting you and sharing with you God’s blessings.
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Website by Mountain West Group
© First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)  All Rights Reserved Phone: 307-674-6795

History

A brief history of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Sheridan, Wyoming Wyoming was admitted to the Union as the 44th state in 1890 and just 12 years later, in the early fall of 1902, a group of people gathered in the home of Mrs. Herman Johnson at 132 Coffeen Avenue to organize the “first” Christian Church in Sheridan. We followed the Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, and United Church of Christ traditions to town, but were ahead of the Lutherans and Presbyterians (We hope you smile at our humor!). The Episcopalians have a joke about the Methodist and Catholics coming by horseback to Wyoming while they waited for the train. We waited for the train too!  Actually, it was a train with Missouri folks connected to the Christian Church tradition. Soon after the first house meeting, the congregation organized its charter and purchased the city lots at the corner of Works and Connor Streets at a cost of $370.19 (which included interest). Work was started on the first church building on Independence Day, July 4, 1903. The folks were fast workers because the new building was completed and dedicated on November 8, 1903. Reporters tell us the dedication service took place amidst of a big snow storm. F. A. Blanchard was called to serve as the first pastor. The actual cost of the building, including lots, seats, fixtures, etc., was $4,891.31. Years later, in 1991, we completed a major remodeling effort to make our buildings more accessible to everyone and spent just under $300,000!   On March 8, 1947, the original church building had a malfunction with the boiler which consumed the building in fire. The whole building was engulfed in flames, and, according to some of the older generation, totally destroyed. Other eye witnesses tell us the building was destroyed, but, a few things inside the building were salvaged, like the organ and the pews (although water damaged). What happened to those things, we do not know. Today, the picture of Jesus at prayer in the garden of Gethsemane (a constant reminder to the congregation of the importance of prayer) and the organ chimes were saved from the fire and are important symbols in our sanctuary today. After the fire, the congregation quickly gathered and voted to rebuild. It took a little longer to rebuild than it took to build the first building. The fellowship hall, which we think dates to around 1922, and was an old oil shack, was redesigned to connect to the new sanctuary.  The new sanctuary was completed and dedicated on April 30, 1950.   In the early 1960's, the south parking lot property was purchased, and on September 13, 1966, that mortgage was paid off. Toward the end of the 70's, the church recognized the need for low income senior housing and set to work, after many challenges, to build Heritage Towers of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Today, we are please to serve 75 seniors with affordable housing in Sheridan County.   In the 1980's, the church was given a little green house next door to the church sanctuary, and a few years later purchased an apartment building on Works street. Both of those buildings have been removed, and, in their place, we have a beautiful memorial garden in honor of Robert Reed (2008) as well as additional parking (approx. 1996). The outdoor memorial gardens are a pleasant place for members and visitors to come and enjoy lunch in the gazebo.   In the 1990's, we felt the need to become more accessible, so we added an indoor ramp (a nice addition for cold country), new restrooms, classrooms, and offices.  We also purchased the Burkitt apartments and white house (now the Thrift Store) for future development. As we moved into the 21st century, we added stained glass windows to our sanctuary.  The stained glass windows were designed by local artists, Nancie Furnish and Paulette Kucera, and follow St. Paul’s teaching on the fruits of the Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22-23). The blue ribbon in the windows, represent the Spirit of Christ moving through the congregation. Around 2010, we replaced the steeple. Now, you can find the Church building from almost everywhere in town. The steeple was struck by lightning, totally destroyed one October afternoon, but, we quickly replaced it with another along with better lightning protection.  Soon after that, around 2012, we added a small chapel and columbarium where loved ones are remembered in their beloved Church building. Over the last 100 years, there have been 16 young men and women who have responded to God’s call to ministry.  We have been blessed to have been served by 28 talented pastors.   First Christian Church has always had an active part in community outreach. As early as 1911, support was given to a “Baby Shelter” on Val Vista street for homeless children. Early records of the Red Cross show that the Christian Church women were regular volunteers. The building of Heritage Towers was a major contribution to housing needs of low income senior citizens in Sheridan. We were an active part of the establishment of Lunch Together / Soup Kitchen and the Sheridan Community Shelter for homeless people.   As we continue the good work of Jesus Christ throughout Sheridan county, we look forward to meeting you and sharing with you God’s blessings.
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
© First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)  All Rights Reserved Phone: 307-674-6795

History

A brief history of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Sheridan, Wyoming Wyoming was admitted to the Union as the 44th state in 1890 and just 12 years later, in the early fall of 1902, a group of people gathered in the home of Mrs. Herman Johnson at 132 Coffeen Avenue to organize the “first” Christian Church in Sheridan. We followed the Methodist, Catholic, Episcopal, and United Church of Christ traditions to town, but were ahead of the Lutherans and Presbyterians (We hope you smile at our humor!). The Episcopalians have a joke about the Methodist and Catholics coming by horseback to Wyoming while they waited for the train. We waited for the train too!  Actually, it was a train with Missouri folks connected to the Christian Church tradition. Soon after the first house meeting, the congregation organized its charter and purchased the city lots at the corner of Works and Connor Streets at a cost of $370.19 (which included interest). Work was started on the first church building on Independence Day, July 4, 1903. The folks were fast workers because the new building was completed and dedicated on November 8, 1903. Reporters tell us the dedication service took place amidst of a big snow storm. F. A. Blanchard was called to serve as the first pastor. The actual cost of the building, including lots, seats, fixtures, etc., was $4,891.31. Years later, in 1991, we completed a major remodeling effort to make our buildings more accessible to everyone and spent just under $300,000!   On March 8, 1947, the original church building had a malfunction with the boiler which consumed the building in fire. The whole building was engulfed in flames, and, according to some of the older generation, totally destroyed. Other eye witnesses tell us the building was destroyed, but, a few things inside the building were salvaged, like the organ and the pews (although water damaged). What happened to those things, we do not know. Today, the picture of Jesus at prayer in the garden of Gethsemane (a constant reminder to the congregation of the importance of prayer) and the organ chimes were saved from the fire and are important symbols in our sanctuary today. After the fire, the congregation quickly gathered and voted to rebuild. It took a little longer to rebuild than it took to build the first building. The fellowship hall, which we think dates to around 1922, and was an old oil shack, was redesigned to connect to the new sanctuary.  The new sanctuary was completed and dedicated on April 30, 1950.   In the early 1960's, the south parking lot property was purchased, and on September 13, 1966, that mortgage was paid off. Toward the end of the 70's, the church recognized the need for low income senior housing and set to work, after many challenges, to build Heritage Towers of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Today, we are please to serve 75 seniors with affordable housing in Sheridan County.   In the 1980's, the church was given a little green house next door to the church sanctuary, and a few years later purchased an apartment building on Works street. Both of those buildings have been removed, and, in their place, we have a beautiful memorial garden in honor of Robert Reed (2008) as well as additional parking (approx. 1996). The outdoor memorial gardens are a pleasant place for members and visitors to come and enjoy lunch in the gazebo.   In the 1990's, we felt the need to become more accessible, so we added an indoor ramp (a nice addition for cold country), new restrooms, classrooms, and offices.  We also purchased the Burkitt apartments and white house (now the Thrift Store) for future development. As we moved into the 21st century, we added stained glass windows to our sanctuary.  The stained glass windows were designed by local artists, Nancie Furnish and Paulette Kucera, and follow St. Paul’s teaching on the fruits of the Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22-23). The blue ribbon in the windows, represent the Spirit of Christ moving through the congregation. Around 2010, we replaced the steeple. Now, you can find the Church building from almost everywhere in town. The steeple was struck by lightning, totally destroyed one October afternoon, but, we quickly replaced it with another along with better lightning protection.  Soon after that, around 2012, we added a small chapel and columbarium where loved ones are remembered in their beloved Church building. Over the last 100 years, there have been 16 young men and women who have responded to God’s call to ministry.  We have been blessed to have been served by 28 talented pastors.   First Christian Church has always had an active part in community outreach. As early as 1911, support was given to a “Baby Shelter” on Val Vista street for homeless children. Early records of the Red Cross show that the Christian Church women were regular volunteers. The building of Heritage Towers was a major contribution to housing needs of low income senior citizens in Sheridan. We were an active part of the establishment of Lunch Together / Soup Kitchen and the Sheridan Community Shelter for homeless people.   As we continue the good work of Jesus Christ throughout Sheridan county, we look forward to meeting you and sharing with you God’s blessings.
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
© First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)  All Rights Reserved Phone: 307-674-6795